Monday, January 25, 2010

Helping Haiti





Today I heard about someone who is collecting stuffed animals for children in Haiti. Roland and I knew immediately that we needed to give our children the opportunity to participate. We discussed the situation in Haiti for FHE and showed them pictures of the devastation there. We talked about how very blessed we are and how it's important to share our blessings with others. At the end of the lesson we asked them if they would like to pick one of their stuffed animals to share with the children in Haiti. At first they refused. We talked about it a little more and pretty soon they were in their rooms searching for just the right one to share. I told them we would take pictures so they could remember their stuffed animals. We told them to give their animal a nice big hug and that the child who receives it would feel their love. Eric and Emilie could not control their emotions. They held their animals for a long time as they cried. I did not expect them to be so emotional about it, but I hope they learned something from it!
I was so glad to find a way for them to serve and help. They have heard about the earthquake and wondered about the children there and I think this was a great way for them to feel like there was something they could do.

p.s. for those of you in my neighborhood who want to donate your stuffed animals, you can bring them to my house no later than Wednesday morning and I'll take them to the people who are going to Haiti. :)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Sue said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever read... what a great opportunity for the kids to learn how to sacrifice in service to others. They will remember this forever!

SL&G said...

What a neat experience. Thanks for your great example!

Nicole said...

Those pictures break my heart, but they are so sweet. What a great opportunity for your kids.

lindsay said...

How sweet. What a great experience for the kids!

Shay said...

That's great that they were willing to help. What a good idea for FHE! That is so sweet that they were emotional about it.

Katie said...

Those pictures are so sweet! That is great!

Kelli Proctor said...

That is awesome! I am sure they wont ever forget that experience! Thanks for your example!

Brittney said...

You are seriously the best! What a wonderful idea.

Remember my house for Preschool, feel free to go and run some errands or take a nap or read a good book:)

Lauri said...

Okay, I am sitting here bawling while I read this! That is so neat. I'm always trying to find ways to involve Emma in service that she might understand. What a great way to do that.