Monday, February 6, 2012

the begining

I have no pictures yet because we've been so busy with details but I do have an update!  Let me just say that we have been blessed thus far! (This will be a long post because I know there are some who want details.  I'll try to use less words and more pictures in the future).

First, although our flight was delayed by a couple hours due to a mechanical issue, every other thing we were worried about with the journey turned out to be no big deal. We did not loose any children in the airports, we managed to make it to and from our flights with all four children, 7 full-size suitcases, 6 carry-on suitcases, and six full backpacks with relative ease!  When we arrived at customs to enter France they didn't ask a single question about why the kids had American passports, in fact they chatted kindly with each of the kids and sent us on our way (wishing us luck with our large load).  And finally the drive to Lyon was perfect. somehow we missed the most direct road that takes you right through Paris which was a huge blessing because we also avoided the crazy Parisian traffic.  We had perfect weather (even though we were told it would snow) and almost no traffic whatsoever.  Roland and I had to stop at a rest stop to close our eyes for a few minutes so we didn't fall asleep but otherwise it went surprisingly well!

We rested on Sunday and tried to catch up on some of our sleep.  This jet-lag thing is a bummer.  Today we began the registration process with the schools.  First we had to go to the local mayor's office.  Lyon is divided into 9 "departments" or neighborhoods and each one has it's own mayor.  Everyone must register at the mayor's office for everything.  It was so strange to me that we had to go there to get the kids registered for school.  They looked at our "family book" and entered a few things in their system, printed out a registration page and sent us on our way.  After the mayor we stopped at the grocery store where I found some whole wheat bread and a few other little things that made me happy! :)

This afternoon we took the kids and their registration pages to their schools.  I was really nervous about this because it was new to all of us (except Roland) and I did not know what to expect at all.  I was pleasantly surprised.  At the younger school where Lydie will be, the director lady was very kind and affectionate with Lydie (if you know Lydie, you'll know that the fastest way to her heart is be affectionate with her!).  The little school is perfectly charming!  I will post pictures soon.  It's a little old building with weathered white shutters and a big wooden door.  Inside was colorful and happy.  Lydie had a good laugh when she saw the bathroom.  It's a big open room with itty-bitty toilets down one wall (there are stalls without doors!) and down the other wall are itty-bitty urinals (also in stalls without doors!).  There are three big round sinks in the center where the kids can stand around it to wash up.  So funny.  She met her teacher and saw her classroom with it's cute old-school desks.  I could tell she was feeling much better about things by the time we left.

Next it was on to the the big school which is right next door.  It is also an old building with a lot of charm (it even has an old winding staircase!).  While we were talking with the director there, Eric's new teacher came in and introduced herself.  She is married to an American and lived there for 10 years before moving back to France!  She speaks English very well and was so sweet with Eric.  She took him to see his classroom and the whole time she was saying things like "don't worry at all!  Everything is going to be great.  It's fine if you don't always understand everything.  It will take some time but we'll work it out.  You're going to love your class.  The kids are so nice and we have lots of fun."  Since she had been through the experience of moving across the world with her children a few years ago she was very understanding and told him to be patient with himself.  I was so glad to know that she speaks English!  She told me to please write her a note (in English) anytime I have questions.  What a relief!

We did not get to meet Emilie's teacher yet because they haven't quite figured out what level she will be but she was really excited to see the school and the cool old desks!  It was fun for Roland because it's the same place he went to school and not much has changed since then.  He was surprised to see how small everything was because it was all so big in his memories. :)  The kids will start school on Thursday but they will be on vacation starting next week so Thursday and Friday will be a little practice time for them before they go for real in a couple weeks.

Overall, I have felt much more peaceful and calm than I anticipated.  Each little miracle has been so encouraging.  I know the Lord is aware of us and knows our concerns and worries.  He is making the way smooth and for that I am so grateful.

15 comments:

lindseyj said...

So glad things went smoothly! Can't wait to read about all of your adventures :)

Andrea said...

Awesome!

Richard said...

Thanks for the update, Amie. So happy that it is going well.

Sue said...

tender mercies! I'm so grateful that things are working out. Love you!

Katie said...

I am so glad Eric's teacher did that for him! It makes me want to cry! I have been praying he'd be okay!!!!

Kari said...

That's so cool that things went smoothly! I know it's a big change for your family, but I have to admit there's a piece of me dying for a chance for us to go back to France and have an adventure like you're sweet little family will be having! Wishing you guys the best of luck and hopefully we'll be visiting Lyon soon and will be able to catch up with you guys. Tell Roland hi from Nat.

Pam said...

What a remarkable adventure you're on! Your Uncle Paul and I have just settled into an "unknown" for us as well tho not nearly so far away--Mead, WA! New home, new Ward, new environment...also led by the Lord. Can't go wrong. Will love following your experiences.

Sandy said...

So glad to hear your trip wasn't too bad, and especially that things are falling into place so beautifully... give my love to the kiddies and Roland & his parents too! xoxox

Jen said...

So happy to hear that things are going well! We miss you but are so, so happy for you and cannot wait to read all about your adventures! Love you guys!

Ashley Ord said...

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you. I am so glad to know that you are feeling peace and comfort. Love you.

Brittney said...

I am so happy about your smooth transition. I was thinking of you this morning and about how extraordinary you are, I count myself lucky to get to follow your new life's adventures! Much love!

Gilbert Family said...

Glad you are there safe and that it went smoothly! I cannot wait to see pictures of their schools, they sound amazing! I'm glad everyone is fitting in nicely and that it's all going well. Can't wait to keep up on your posts. Miss you guys!

Tricia said...

Like button needed here

STEVE and DEBBIE said...

We are so glad you made it safe and sound!

olivia said...

LOVE these kind of details! Everything sounds so happy!