Tuesday, January 6, 2009

He survived...

Just in case any of you have been worried about our little Eric and how he fared the other night, I am happy to report that he is alive and well! His punishment was to "sell" one of his toys to pay for Daddy's new contacts with the knowledge that he would have lots of opportunities to earn enough to "buy" a replacement (it's actually in our closet and I'm sure he'll earn it back soon). He was pretty upset about that, but we have really struggled with his lack of respect for our things and our home. He loves to take things apart (which would be fine if he knew how to put them back together), and usually ends up breaking and ruining things in the process (sometimes deliberately). We had a good talk about being careful with the things in our home and trying not to destroy everything he finds :)! Anyway, I think the whole "episode" was really a blessing because it gave us a chance to teach him something that we've been trying to teach him for months. I'm sure it's not over and he'll need to re-learn this one a few times, but I know we made great progress! It makes the $50 we spent on new contacts a little easier to swallow!

8 comments:

Sue said...

Very good job, Mom and Dad!

Matt, Arien, Pete and Piper said...

So I remember when I was young playing with my older sisters contacts & I remember how much trouble that I got into & I never did it again. So hopefully he learned his lesson, I sure did:)

Andrea said...

I love the "sell & earn" thing. Good idea!

Steve & Julie said...

Good solution. I hope he learns sooner than later for both of your sakes :)

sidney said...

You two are great parents! I may have to try your idea when one of my boys does something similar. They also love to take things apart, especially Isaac. I keep thinking it is a boy thing to be so inquisitive as to how things work as Alissa was never like that.

Shay said...

That's great! He is such a boy. I remember that my brother was always taking things apart.

Tricia said...

That's a good idea. When the snow melts, he can clean up doggy doo doo to earn real money and buy some new toys with that. Let me know. Then when he starts asking for a puppy he'll already know what it takes. :)

Jessica said...

Well I am glad to hear that he is indeed alive! I laughed so hard when you told that story at the little preschool meeting! I am also glad to see that even the Bishops son doesn't always mind! Teh-he-he.