Monday, December 8, 2008

Evening of light

"May we remember the humble dignity of his birth, his gifts and his life. May we, through our simple acts of kindness, charity and compassion, fill the world with the light of his love."
« Puissions-nous nous souvenir de l'humble dignité de sa naissance, ses dons et sa vie. Puissions-nous, par nos actes simples de bonté, de charité et de compassion, remplir le monde de la lumière de son amour. »
-Président Uchtdorf – Coin de feu de Noel 2008

-Pres. Deiter F. Uchtdorf (from the First Presidency Christmas Devotional 2008)













This evening as we sat in our candle-lit home we felt a special warmth from the glow of the candles and from the opportunity it gave us to talk together about our Savior and what Christmas means. We talked about light and the Light of the World. We took turns going for a drive to see the neighbors candles (thanks to all of you who participated!) and ended with homemade hot-chocolate in our jammies. I love this time of the year and I love that we have been able to make this tradition from Roland's youth such an important part of our Christmas season.
Ce soir, alors que nous nous sommes assis dans notre maison remplie de bougies nous avons ressenti la chaleur de la lueur des bougies et de l'occasion qu'elle nous a donnée de parler ensemble au sujet de notre Sauveur et ce que signifie Noël. Nous avons parlé de la lumière et la lumière du monde. Nous avons fait le tour du quartier afin de voir les bougies des voisins. Et la soirée s'est terminée a la maison avec un chocolat chaud dans nos pyjamas. J'aime cette période de l'année et j’aime le fait que nous avons été en mesure d’incorporer cette tradition de la jeunesse de Roland une partie si importante de notre saison de Noël.

13 comments:

Tricia said...

We just put our candle out, but I guess it's too late. Sorry. We didn't want to leave a candle burning while we were out of the house.

RL said...

I love this tradition. What a wonderful way to start the month remembering the Lord!
PS: sister Turner, we are glad you did not have a candle burning while you were out :)

The Wards said...

We were excited to light our candle as well. Thanks again for sharing such a sweet and thoughtful tradition with us!

Emily said...

I think that it is so wonderful that you do this tradition every year. We had a fun time lighting our candles and watching them flicker in the window. Thank you for sharing this tradition with us.

Brittney said...

It was really fun! We were also gone for a part of the evening, but they were burning when we were home! I love this tradition!!!

Sue said...

It looks beautiful! Wish I could have seen it. You are creating wonderful traditions and memories for the kids!

Nicole said...

I miss this awesome tradition. It is such a great way to remember the Lord. Maybe next year we will participate even though we live all the way down here in Payson.

Andrea said...

We loved it! It was fun to drive around. Did you see the Maloy's beautiful candelabra? It is a wonderful tradition.

Lytles said...

What a great tradition! I love all the beautiful candles and the meaning behind them!

Aldred Family said...

I love reading the story of the lights every year.. I'm so glad that you have shared this with us.. I love the reminder of Christmas and what we are truly celebrating!! Last year we lit candles and I guess I didn't raise the blinds high enough and they started on fire :) After a new shade and being greatful I had a house... Jeff thought I could enjoy the lights of everyone's candles all around me!! :)

Karen said...

I also add my thanks for this tradition. It's fun to put the candle out, but I was also alittle worried about my blinds and tree, so I hope ours could be seen. I also realized that we have no candles! I'll need to get some to add to the light in our window for next year.

Holly said...

I told Cory about this tradition and he LOVED it. We would have loved to drive through your neighborhood that evening. Your kiddies are so lucky to have you as parents.

TRANSPORTER said...

HI THERE,

YOU GOT A COOL BLOG! I'M SELLING HEAPS OF COOL STUFF FOR BABIES, KIDS, LADIES AND GUYS AT A SWEET PRICE AND YOU COULD SAVE YOUR POCKET AND MAKE MONEY NSTEAD PLEASE GIVE OURSELF A PEEP, AND I BET YOUR EYES MIGHT POP OUT!

PLS CHECK OUT www.transporter-trendspotting.blogspot.com

DO UPDATE WITH US EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR NEW ARRIVAL CLOTHING.

THANKS FOR VIEWING!